Note: If you are interested in offering Equine Facilitated Wellness as a Pro-EFW Certified Professional you will need to APPLY FOR EFW CERTIFICATION before Focus Training.
Pro-EFW has four online or onsite training offerings Explorations, Foundations, Focus & Integration. Read below for more information about there individual parameters, pre-requisites and learning objectives.
EXPLORATIONS TRAINING PARAMETERS AND LEARNING OBJECTIVES
Explorations In EFW Training is an introduction to the field of equine facilitated wellness. It offers an overview of the field and introduces participants to fundamental EFW concepts, principles and issues. During this training, participants also learn about Pro-EFW philosophy, principles, ethics, the role of the equine as a sentient being, Certification Process and safety issues while working with equines and humans.
The 30 hour introduction may be offered as a combination of distance learning, online and onsite training. Participants will have an understanding of the steps required to further develop their knowledge and skills in this field. Explorations is the first level of training in the Pro-EFW certification process, it is also available to anyone who wants to learn about EFW.
It may be of special interest to those in a mental health/human services field, and/or those who have experience working with equines.
You can take Explorations with any Pro-EFW Trainer. The rest of the training modules will be taken with the same Trainer.
A manual will be provided.
Learning Objectives of the Explorations Workshop:
1 General understanding of Equine Facilitated Wellness (EFW)
2 Awareness of the history and foundation for EFW approaches
3 Increased sensitivity to the horse, its needs and abilities
4 Appreciation and understanding of the perspective of the horse as a ‘sentient being’
5 Appreciation of the safety and risk management issues and considerations in EFW
6 An introduction to how EFW can be applied with clients in individual, family and group environments
7 An introduction to how EFW can be applied with different client populations and needs
8 Understanding of the Pro-EFW training, mentoring and certification model and how this applies to candidates
9 An appreciation of the importance of always working within your scope of practice
10 The development of personal next steps in exploring the EFW field
11 Ideas of what people can do when they leave
This is a 2 day experiential workshop with distance ed components.
Workshop topics will be covered through a blend of discussions, presentations, demonstrations and hands on experiential exercises.
FOUNDATIONS & FOCUS TRAINING PARAMETERS AND LEARNING OBJECTIVES
The Foundations & Focus Trainings are the second & third Level in learning about Equine Facilitated Wellness under the Pro-EFW model. Participants should have first completed a Pro-EFW approved Explorations training. These Trainings introduce and explore an approach to EFW which will be specific to the trainer and program delivering the training while being consistent with Pro-EFW philosophies including those regarding safety, ethics and the role of the horse as sentient being. It is important for trainees to attend Foundations & Focus trainings with a trainer and program that is a good fit for how, and with whom, they plan to work.
1. Both Trainings are open to anyone who has completed the Pro-EFW Exploration Training. Membership in Pro-EFW is not required for this training.
2. To enroll in the Pro-EFW certification process the trainee must be a member of Pro-EFW.
3. These trainings contain both didactic, experiential and self-reflective material. Participant learning will be enhanced by an open and heartfelt approach to the work.
4. The extent to which participants involve themselves in the experiential and self-reflective exercises is an individual choice.
5. The Pro-EFW training process involves personal growth, but the focus of these trainings is not a personal growth or therapy workshop. Participants are to be encouraged to respect their own and others boundaries, and facilitators are to maintain a safe environment in this regard.
1. Review and confirmation of understanding of Pro-EFW principals and philosophies including those regarding role of the equine, safety, and ethics and their application to the participant’s professional work and practice in the EFW field.
2. Introduction to the theoretical model applied by the individual trainer (or training team) and its integration with EFW. Specific learning objectives within this area will vary with the approach being taught.
3. Introduction of how to apply the theoretical model (see #2 above) to EFW work with different populations and different formats (e.g. individual sessions, group sessions, school programs etc.) in accordance with the participant’s scope of practice and including all streams (EP, EFL, & MHP) within the trainer’s (or training team’s) scope of practice.
4. Further exploration of the Pro-EFW certification requirements and development of an initial draft of the participant’s Scope of Practice Statement and the Personal Progress Plan.
5. Development of facilitation skills in EFW sessions, including preparation, safety, and introducing, facilitating, and debriefing (with equines and humans) a range of EFW activities.
6. Introduction and exploration of a philosophically consistent horsemanship approach applied by the individual trainer (training team) and its integration with EFW and Pro-EFW philosophies and principals. This will include consideration of:
a. Physical and emotional safety of client and equine, including additional considerations if riding is included into the approach;
b. Selection and training of an equine for EFW;
c. Assessing equines’ comfort level in the work;
d. Determining when an equine is not suitable for EFW:
e. Preparation of an equine for EFW sessions;
f. Handling of the equine (by facilitator and client) during sessions;
g. Debriefing of an equine after sessions.
7. If the participant is interested in pursuing their Pro-EFW certification,
review and expansion of their “next steps” with the Personal Progress Plan
and development of their Scope of Practice will be initiated.
INTEGRATION TRAINING PREREQUISITES, PARAMETERS AND LEARNING OBJECTIVES
Integration Training is the final Pro-EFW training step in the certification process.
1. Completion of the approved Explorations and approved Foundations & Focus Trainings
2. Completion of fifteen (15) hours of direct client contact practicing EFW either with individuals or groups and two (2) hours of mentorship with an Pro-EFW Mentor
3. Participants must be a Pro-EFW Certification Candidate. Non-certification candidates may be considered at the discretion of the individual trainer. If a non-certification candidate completes Integration Training and then decides at a later date to pursue EFW Certification, they may need to complete Integration Training again.
4. A written draft of the trainee’s Scope of Practice and Personal Progress Plan
1. The Integration Training is the final step in learning about Equine Facilitated Wellness under the Pro-EFW model.
2. It is required that trainees attend Integration Training with the same trainer(s) and program they attended for Focus Training.
3. Integration Training deepens and develops the trainee’s applied understanding of the theoretical approach to EFW introduced in Focus Training. Therefore, little, if any new theoretical material will be presented.
4. The Integration Training contains didactic, experiential and self-reflective material. Participant learning will be enhanced by an open and heartfelt approach to the work.
5. The extent to which participants involve themselves in the experiential and self-reflective exercises is an individual choice.
6. The EFW training process involves personal growth, but the Integration Training is not a personal growth or therapy workshop. Participants are to be encouraged to respect their own and others boundaries, and facilitators are to maintain a safe environment in this.
1. Review and confirmation of understanding of EFW principals and philosophies including those regarding role of the horse, safety, and ethics and their application to the participant’s professional work and practice in the EFW field.
2. To deepen understanding of the theoretical model applied by the individual trainer (or training team) and its integration with EFW. Specific learning objectives within this area will vary with the approach being taught.
3. To deepen and develop applied understanding of the theoretical model (see #2 above) to EFW work through discussion, practice and case examples with different populations and different formats in accordance with the trainees Scope of Practice.
4. To create, prepare, introduce, facilitate and debrief practice sessions within participant’s individual Scope of Practice.
5. Further exploration (through discussion, case examples and practice) of an appropriate horsemanship approach applied by the individual trainer (training team) and its integration with EFW and Pro-EFW ethics and principles.
6. Further development and/or completion of a Scope of Practice Statement and a Personal Progress Plan
Please note that all of the Pro-EFW trainings are approved by Pro-EFW but is provided by independent professionals; all fees are set by and payable to our independent EFW Trainers. Please review their individual cancellation policies and contact the trainers directly for more information and/or to apply for the trainings. The list of EFW trainers will be expanding so that we will be able to offer a greater number of trainings in more locations. Stay tuned for updates to this schedule!
Our Pro-EFW Membership and Certification Renewal Year is from April 1 to March 31.
If you would like to be a general member and supporter of Pro-EFW, click here.
Certification candidates must renew their $40 Pro-EFW Membership yearly as they work through the certification process. Click here to become a member and/or to renew.
To apply for certification click here and you will be prompted to pay both the certification application fee and your Pro-EFW membership.
You must renew your certification annually. The $40 Pro-EFW Membership is included in your renewal fee, which will vary depending on your certification.
Click here to renew your certification.
The Certification Portal is accessable to Pro-EFW Members who have previously purchased their certification application and are working through the Pro-EFW Certification Process click the button below to access the portal.
To purchase the certification application